I miss writing on this blog, but I find every time I start to read about topics I’d like to post on I get angry. And then I quit. Who likes to be angry? Not me, I assure you. Instead of a full length post, I’m just going to throw a few things out there:
1. Not wanting to be pregnant is not a reason to not have sex. That’s ridiculous. Sex can be wonderful, and can generally be considered a healthy part of life including when there are no procreative intentions. This goes doubly for straight cis men who say women shouldn’t have sex if they don’t want to get pregnant. I don’t like to be all, “you don’t get an opinion,” but you cannot possibly understand what it means when you say that.
2. A human growing inside a uterus is not a baby. It isn’t. It’s an embryo and then a fetus (at one point it’s a zygote, but we’re not usually aware of it at that time).
3. Try to become more aware of your own privileges. I’m not saying put yourself on a scale of privilege, but when you start to respond to someone’s story with, “Well I…” stop. Think. Are you trying to negate their experiences with your own? What might differ between you two? Are you adding to the discussion or are you simply trying to overwrite it?
4. Today I volunteered at a women and children’s shelter for people in abusive relationships. The women I met there are amazingly strong. I feel lucky to have been able to spend 2 hours with them, and I hope my time there did something positive, even if it was just to give someone a chance to talk about whatever they wanted.
5. I am damn lucky that if I ever need to, I can stay with my mom. And if I ever need it, I have many people I can borrow $ from.